- Linear to rotary or rotary to linear.
- Screws are inexpensive & available in any hardware store.
- You can make can make very fine, accurate, & precise adjustments.
- Eliminate the need and wait for special order mating worms.
- Immediate reduction of high speed to low speed with no additional gears.
- Strong build quality. Screw wares faster than Screw Gear, and screws are cheap.
- Great for hard to reach applications.
- Allows for quick and easy maintenance.
- Compatible with SAE & Metric screws and long threaded rods.
A screw gear is a gear arrangement in which a worm (which is a gear in the form of a screw) meshes with a screw gear (which is similar in appearance to a spur gear, and is also called a worm wheel). The terminology is often confused by imprecise use of the term screw gear to refer to the worm, the worm gear, or the worm drive as a unit.
Like other gear arrangements, a screw gear can reduce rotational speed or allow higher torque to be transmitted. The image shows a section of a gear box with a worm gear being driven by a worm. A worm is an example of a screw, one of the six simple machines.