Requirements of a Good Shaft Coupling and It’s Types
A good shaft coupling should have the following requirements :
1. It should be easy to connect or disconnect.
2. It should transmit the full power from one shaft to the other shaft without losses.
3. It should hold the shafts in perfect alignment.
4. It should reduce the transmission of shock loads from one shaft to another shaft.
5. It should have no projecting parts.
Types of Shafts Couplings
Note : This picture is given as additional information and is not a direct example of the current topic.
Shaft couplings are divided into two main groups as follows :
1. Rigid coupling.
It is used to connect two shafts which are perfectly aligned. Following types of rigid coupling are important from the subject point of view :
(a) Sleeve or muff coupling.
(b) Clamp or split-muff or compression coupling, and
(c) Flange coupling.
2. Flexible coupling.
It is used to connect two shafts having both lateral and angular misalignment. Following types of flexible coupling are important from the subject point of view :
(a) Bushed pin type coupling,
(b) Universal coupling, and
(c) Oldham coupling.
Reference of A Text book of a Machine Design by R. S. Khurmi and J. K. Gupta