Furnaces which are constructed in a pit and extend to floor level or slightly above are called pit furnaces. Workpieces can be suspended from fixtures, held in baskets or placed on bases in the furnace. Pit furnaces are suited to heating long tubes, shafts and rods by holding them in a vertical position. This manner of loading provides minimal distortion. Copied from Wikipedia.
Pit furnace is a type of a furnace bath which is installed in the form of a pit and is used for melting small quantities of ferrous and non ferrous metals for production of castings. It is provided with refractory inside and chimney at the top. Generally coke is used as fuel. It is provided with refractory lining inside and chimney at the top. Natural and artificial draught can be used for increasing the capability towards smooth operation of the furnace. Fig. shows the typical pit furnace.
The pit furnace is a vertical orientation batch furnace used for a variety of processes. Designs can be provided for atmosphere or direct fired processes. Furnaces are available with retorts or without depending on process requirements.
Surface Combustion has an installed base of over 200 furnaces worldwide.
Ferritic nitrocarburizing (FNC), nitriding, carburizing, hardening, tempering, stress relieving, annealing, bluing
Ammonia, disassociated ammonia, endothermic (RX®), exothermic (DX®), nitrogen, air, carbon dioxide, steam, nitrous oxide, hydrogen or other custom atmosphere mixes
Steel, stainless steel, cast iron, aluminum
Gears, bearings, shafts, large components, bars
- Standard work space diameters between 24” and 120”
- Standard loading heights between 36” and 144”
- Standard loading weight up to 30,000 pounds
- Custom size and weights available upon request
TYPICAL DESIGN FEATURES
- Electric, direct gas fired (recuperative and regenerative), and radiant tube systems available.
- Maximum operating temperatures up to 2400°F.
- Top or bottom load supports available.
- Hydraulic cover lift and rotate systems available.
- Manual or automatic controls meeting the requirements of AMS-2750 can be provided as requested.
- Companion equipment including washers, temper furnaces, gas generators, loading systems and quenches.
Reference Introduction to basic Manufacturing Processes and Workshop Technology by Rajender Singh.
For engineering project visit this page regularly for know more things related project ideas. Click here to see Ideas of Projects. Engineers Gallery. All the Best!