The purpose of this project is to alert the remote user incase of a fuse in a critical electrical equipment got fused.
This consists of two electrically isolated power sensors for sensing the presence of electrical power. One of the power sensors is connected before the fuse to be monitored and the other after the fuse. The power status from these sensors is fed to a microcontroller. Microcontroller continuously monitors the status of these two sensors. If the power status of second sensor is low and the first sensor is high, then the microcontroller identifies this as a break in fuse circuit and sends an appropriate message to a Computer connected to it. If both the sensors output goes low then microcontroller identifies this as power supply failure and sends the appropriate message to the Computer.
Once the data is available with computer, we can use this data to send e-mail to the concern personal about the fault. The storage of power status information in computer also helps in viewing historical data.
The objectives of the project include:
- Real-time fuse monitoring.
- Alarming in fuse blown situations.
- Sending the status of the fuse to PC.
The project provides us exposure on:
- Embedded C program.
- PCB designing.
- Electrical isolation between two devices.
- Serial communication between the controller and PC.
- Implementation of RS232 protocol.
The major building blocks of this project are:
- Microcontroller based control system with regulated power supply.
- Two electrically isolated power status sensors.
- Microcontroller to PC interfacing circuit.
- Serial data cable for PC connectivity.