ELECTRICAL SAFETY MEASURES
If a person receives electric shock of mild or serious kind, directly or indirectly, the same must be reported as electric accident. In case of stoppage of breathing after electric shock to any victim, one should remove all sorts of obstructions from the mouth of the victim. Then he should sit on his knees near the head of the victim and keep your both hands on his near the collar bone, in such a way that the thumbs of both hands touch each other the fingers remain open. He should press the back of the patient slowly and release the pressure on the back and move up to the shoulders by sliding palms. Then the victim should be pulled upward by holding the patient’s arm in between his elbows and shoulders. This process is repeated until patient starts breathing himself.
Based on past experience, a number of rules and regulations have been made for handling of electrical appliances. In industry, an inquiry is normally ordered for electrical accident. Items carrying electricity should be properly insulated. Ageing of insulation withstand capacity and should not be allowed to leak current. Switching contacts and point contacts should be checked periodically to sparking and point heating.
Important electric preventive measures are
1. All metallic parts, externally accessible must always be earthed.
2. No inflammable materials are kept near electrical appliances, electric line wires or electric control panels.
3. Electric safety devices like fuse, circuit breakers over-tripping must be always used where ever required.
4. All defective and worn-out electric fittings must be replaced.
5. No untrained persons should be allowed to repair electrical faults.
6. Safety belts, helmet, rubber gloves, boots with rubber soles, and other safety items always are used by electrician while dealing or working with high voltage. These appliances should be provided to all electric mechanics.
7. Overloading of any electric circuit must be avoided.
8. The electric appliances when not in use must be dis-connected from main supply.
9. Power supply should be switched off always during maintenance work. Only authorized person should be allowed to switch on and off ’ the power supply.
10. One should avoid touching metal case of any electrical apparatus when it is in operation.
11. Proper type of wiring should always be provided in all locations.
12. Periodical inspection should be done to detect the damages.
13. Always avoid overloading on any single point.
14. Good standards of safety items must be maintained as per norms.
Reference Introduction to basic Manufacturing Processes and Workshop Technology by Rajender Singh.
For engineering project visit this page regularly for know more things related project ideas. Click here to see Ideas of Projects.